Monday, August 6, 2012

Memories from John

My time in Costa Rica.  
By John Schwieters


A week ago yesterday after leaving my family in Nicaragua, I spent all day trying to get to the little village of San Marcos de Cutris. After waking up at six, spending all morning crossing the border, waiting for my ride all afternoon in Liberia, and sitting on the side of a road while dealing with car troubles until late in the night, I ended up crashing at the very hospitable home of Chato's parents in San Carlos. I soon discovered the magic of Costa Rican food, and after a huge breakfast Chato and I made the drive out to San Marcos to start our work.


Prepping the walls that we will pour around the 1000 pounds of  fire brick
 
I kicked off my week of oven building by carrying a load of bricks through the poring rain with my new friends, with whom I would construct this masterpiece of a bread oven. During my first couple hours at the house of the Perez family I realized that I could constantly enjoy homemade Costa Rican dinners if chose to, which I did of course! :) the words, "John! Tienes hambre?" became music to my ears very quickly. 


I spent the whole morning cramped in the oven
filling joints and cleaning mortar off the arches we built the previous day
Laying the front facade and chimney brick with my buddy Chato 
Once my time in San Marcos was finished I sadly left the place where so many memories were made, including: meeting many new and interesting friends, sitting in hardware stores for hours at a time, eating all of everyone's food, watching Chato stab himself with my one and only EpiPen, spending all morning filling gaps inside the cramped oven, helping a family and a community with my work, and living as simply as I ever have. 
My final day with the Perez family:
Laura, Alberto, Abuela, Abuelo, me, Cristina and Perez
 

I was treated to a wonderful vacation in Tamarindo after this experience in the third world of Costa Rica, which I thoroughly enjoyed. 
The amazing sunsets at Tamarindo beach 

West and I checking out the crocs, colorful crabs and lazy howler monkey
during our boat tour
  

Final day of surfing with Karen, Ana and Caroline 

Ana, Caroline, Karen and I
taking our last swim in the pool before heading back to Nicaragua
 
 I'll never forget all the people I met during this life changing experience, and I'd go back in a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment